Want a new landscape design? Asking the right questions about your yard and personal preferences will start you off on the right foot.
Here are 10 guiding questions to think about during a landscape design consultation:
1. How do you want to use your yard? A place to entertain, quiet retreat, children's play area, dog area, etc.
2. What are your goals? Use landscape to increase your house value, improve your entryway, curb appeal, personal space, increase parking, etc.
3. What direction does your house face? How much sun do you get and where?
4. Do you have any water issues or soil issues?
5. What kind of style do you want? Formal, informal, mixed, naturalistic, woody, groomed, therapeutic, etc.
6. What do you like? Lots of color, favorite color, subtle, texture, stone, lots of different greens, whimsical, etc.
7. What kind of space do you like? Open and airy, closed and private, an extension of the indoors, bird or butterfly garden, a strolling garden, a viewing garden, a healing garden, etc.
8. What is important to you? Plantings, trees, shrubs, perennials, lawn, patio, deck walkways, parking, storage, lighting, special features such as a water feature, pergola, bench, fire pit, outdoor kitchen, etc.
9. How much maintenance do you want to do?
10. What is your budget? Do you want to do the landscaping all at once or over time?
Remember- these are guiding questions, think about them but don't worry if you don't have all the answers right away, part of the process of a landscape design consultation is to help you find the answers!
Good luck and have fun!